Saturday, June 30, 2007

Small school, big school

Over the last week I have been thinking about what it is like to go to a small school. I know, CBS is not a small school by any stretch of the imagination. But, J-term really makes it feel that way, especially during the summer when the rest of the class is off doing summer internships.

When applying to schools, I didn't really take big/small into consideration. However, I think it's really important to think about.

At a really big school like CBS, it's nice to have a group of ~180 students who you feel a strong bond with by virtue of being in the same program.

Not to say that you don't bond with other folks, but I have to say that my best friends in the program happen to be J-termers. Maybe it is coincidence, but I doubt it.

So, for all of you applicants, make sure you're not just shooting for the big name -- look at the class size and really think hard about what kind of environment you'll enjoy.

No comments: