Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Google Interview Debrief

Just finished my Google interview. I have to say, I was impressed. I spoke with two folks - one was a product manager who focuses on social networking and the other was a product management lead.

In the first interview, I brainstormed about features I'd like to incorporate into Blogger, and also what I'd do to improve Twittr. I also spent some time walking through a couple of experiences in my resume. And I got to pontificate on my idea about Google starting a content distribution service to compete with Akamai and Limelight.

In the second interview, we started by talking about an algorithm that would analyze email and be able to tell the strength and type of social connection between the sender and receipients. I also got to flex a bit of my VMware muscle and talk about the threats and opportunities that VMware presented to a handful of companies, namely Microsoft, Google, and Apple.

All in all, I think it went well and I felt like there was definitely a good rapport with the people I spoke with. They say they'll tell me in the next couple of weeks if I get the invite to the Googleplex in Mountain View.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with google in coming days. please keep on posting about recruiting at Columbia.

By the way, when did some of your J-term friends who lately got offeres from I-banks start the recruiting process? I have heard that a lot of firms come to the columbia business school in summer to recruit J-termers. is that right?

one more thing, do you know that your blog has been selected by Wharton mba admission commitiee folks to be advertised on their MBA blog. Check it out mate. good job.

http://adcomblog.wharton.upenn.edu/admissions/

John said...

Recruiting informational presentations started in the summer. In other words, there were presentations just for j-termers. A ton of banks and financials came, and some consulting firms too (Bain was one that I remember).

I didn't know my blog was selected but that is good news. Always happy to get the word out to more prospective applicants! Thanks for reading.

Anonymous said...

So are you at the Plex?

John said...

I was there on Monday with a bunch of my classmates.