Monday, September 10, 2007

Launching New Ventures

We had our first Launching New Ventures class today. It is taught by a serial entrepreneur named Cliff Schorer and another entrepreneur named Brendan Burns. Cliff is the entrepreneur-in-residence at the school and Brendan was CBS '93 (I think) and now working on turning around a startup that was on the verge of failing. Both of them seem very accomplished and I can already tell they are going to be a tremendous resource to anyone who is starting a business while they are at Columbia (and after).

The class was a mix of introductions ("Hello my name is X and my business idea is Y"), lecture (business plan overview, course format, etc), videos (we saw interviews with the founders of Apple, Microsoft, and Fedex), and presentation of business ideas. The course TA is already operating an apparel company and ran us through part of his investor presentation, and another one of my classmates shared the pitch for his computer data backup service.

There were a bunch of interesting ideas, and many people in the room who were in various stages of the venturing process. There were also some students who were running multiple businesses, or who had started other businesses in the past. I'm looking forward to helping everyone in the class develop their ideas. I'll keep you all posted on this course as I am pretty confident it will be one of my faves this year.

No comments: